Saturday, September 19, 2009

Grunge Candles

cinnamon grunged candles... they smell good enough to eat...
I got so tired of looking for these candles in my area... Canada is always 5 years behind the States... I decided to make my own... thank God my BF lives there, so I have the best of both worlds... I find my best deals there... but that is another topic for another day...

the first time my GF and I tried to make these candles it was an absolute disaster... I invested the money to buy the proper untensils... got it all set up... melted the wax in a double boiler... what a mess that made... well long story short... we made every mistake you could possibly make... we could have wrote a book on what NOT to do... we laughed until we cried so although it was a totally unproductive day it was sure a fun day... our yield was about 8 candles and you could have used them as scud missiles...

If there is an easy way to do something I am going to figure it out... I since invested $10.00 (and I haggled for that) at a garage sale (more than I normally would ever spend, cheap is my middle name) for a wax melter and worth every penny... (back to the wasting time or wasting money issue, sometimes you just have to splurge) I made all these and another tray full in one afternoon, although it wasn't as fun as the first time, I did manage to get some inventory...
I found this little holder in a thrift store... it was perfect for these little beauties... the hanging candles were also thrifted... they were originally blue... use up all your old candles and if they aren't fit for displaying melt them...I had loads of them hanging around...

3 comments:

Janet said...

HaHaHa !! Yes we made every mistake you could imagine, but we had fun, and laughed, and learned very important lessons. lol.
The new candles look amazing, and smell devine..

Proper Prim said...

who would have known that making candles would be so much fun... thanks for your help... we may have to do a new batch soon... already sold a few bundles... they must be a hit my sister has come back twice for more...

Anonymous said...

Deb, like you, I've been searching for over a year for some Ontarioian who makes (and hopefully sells?) prim candles. Yours are wonderfully grunged, and it's also so hard to find them in pairs with att'd wicks for hanging. Can you email me please at rusticrevivals@yahoo.ca for some exciting proposals I'd like to put forward to you? Glad to have found you here in Ontario Julie