Monday, August 30, 2010

Curb Appeal 101 - Phase 1

Finally I have the chance to get something done that I have been waiting to do for the past 5 years... I needed some curb appeal badly at my house...

I was way too cheap to spend the money on wood so it went on the "want list" and this summer it was destine to happen. I found the spindles as you may remember at a garage sale... one that we just happened to find as we made a wrong turn... $10.00 for the pile,  I knew immediately what they were going to be used for.


My friend called me one day and asked if I would like these... she knows I am cheap  a junker... well they just happen to be the same size and between the two of them, I had enough to do what I have dreamed about for so long. 
 
I cut all of these on the OB...I then cut a 35 degree angle on all the ends... all 46 of them.

Enter the `Blue Beast``now this is a sander on steriods... this finally made it`s debut... it has been hiding in the box for the past couple of years... why did it take me so long to use this, it literally cut my sanding time in half...

I then painted them with a Khaki oil paint that I just happened to have an unopened can of... did you know you can`t cheat drying oil paint with a hair dryer... I had to do it the snail way and wait for it to dry the old fashioned way.

                                 
This is the boring front of my house... my living room is above the garage... this was an add on at one time to the existing house... not much thought went into the outside at the time of this addition... they made it work inside but forgot to consider the outside.  This was done long before I bought the house... I had a vision and now it is finally a reality...

this is the first area to be dressed up...

there's my modest friend Jason tweaking something... I couldn't have done this without him.

started with the brackets bolted to the steel frame... Jason welded the bolts right to the frame rather than having to drill into the brick...
the outer pieces are just a facade to hide the nut and bolt...

bolted to the steel frame...

dry run with the slats...

all secured... I am loving it
 my house will fall down before this will... I haven't played with it yet... I want to dress it up a bit... picture this with a nice vine growing on it next year... it really breaks up the height of the wall... 

sorry for the terrible pics I was running out of light...

side view...

  it is a start... I have big plans to finish this front off... hopefully I can get it done soon... the weather has been so hot to work this summer... I can't wait for fall...
 
Slowly things are getting done, one step at a time... next job on the list is to make new shutters for all the windows... replace the front lights and somehow darken that crack repair in the brick... along with a few other tricks up my sleeve too.

Hope you are all having a great day... stay cool.

Hugs,






toolsareforwomentoo





Make sure you check out Shanty2Chic's Gorilla Glue giveaway...
and check out some of the great projects that are posted.

15 comments:

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

well, looky there! It's built! :)
I have no doubt that you will dress it beautifully! :)
way to go! Now, isn't that OB the best! :) sure made it easy, didn't it!
So glad you got it done.
cooled off here for a couple of days, now it's hot again!
take care!
gail

~Amy Jo~ said...

I love that! Great job.

Firecracker Kid said...

I LIKE it! I want one too:) When Mya gets big enough to help Gramma, then you'll have a lil helper:)

Kirsty Girl said...

I love it. I can't believe why an amazingly HUGE difference that has made!
Defs go with the vine idea too it will look gorgeous! :D you're so creative!

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

Wow, what a huge difference! You're getting good at using that OB.
Can just picture it with a vine growing along it. It will be so beautiful!

Loafer Mountain Primitives said...

Hey Deb!
Thanks for stoppin in at my place!
Love what you did to your garage!
Wow, what a difference... Can't wait to see how you "Top" it off!
We have the same sander! Sweet....
Tisha

Anonymous said...

The Garage doors look amazing.. love it.. come do mine now.. lol... :)

hugs Janet

Denise said...

Love how that looks, I am getting ready to use my ladder. You might not want to read my blog and see what I decided to do, of course I haven't done it yet! The temps here are very hot, I'm sweating just typing this, LOL.

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

What a great detail, I really like it!

DeeDee said...

wowsers..I love it Deb..you are so creative.....kisses for Mya too.

Amy Chalmers said...

Thanks for sharing this how to. I want to do something just like this over my back door which I plan on installing (french patio doors)...then I want an arbor type thing wall mounted across it. So happy to see yours!

shannon i olson said...

Great use! Looks fantastic.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

I LOVE those! What an incredible outcome! And lucky to have the friend you do to help out. :)

I can't wait to see what other plans you have for the area in the fall. You have me totally intrigued.

Donna

Teresa said...

It came out great! Congratulations!

Always, Teresa

http://RitasRamblingRanch.blogspot.com

Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont said...

Wow! Way to take that curb appeal into your own hands! I love how it turned out and the color you chose. I might have to keep this idea in mind for above *our* garage! Thanks :)