Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Before and Afters 05-18-2010

As promised these are the before and afters from my weekend finds...

the before... oh so clean

are you ready... check out that date... that is the real thing there folks...
no Mr. Sharpie required for this one...

 remember that frame that Mr. D couldn't see past the dirt and tried to talk me out of buying...
it got a nice coat of black paint, let dry to the touch and rubbed off with a damp cloth... It was the perfect size for this piece...

It just wasn't acting  it's age, so I soaked it overnight in my grunge mixture of tea, mocha coffee, vanilla...
 a nice rub down with cinnamon while wet and baked in the oven...

 If I was doing this in my electric oven it would have been darker, but I wasn't fooling around with a broiler in a gas stove... this is actually showing a bit lighter than it actually is.
(if you try this be sure that the piece is perfectly straight on the pan before you bake it as it will dry stiff and ready for framing... there is no going back to straighten once it is dry... bake at 225 degrees for about 10-15 minutes... it won't darken until it is completely  dry... it happens quickly so don't take your eye off of it... in an electric stove I do it under the broiler, be very careful though things happen fast)
It is now on display in my bathroom... a keeper for sure.

The before...


I am liking this so much better now...
new porcelain knobs, painted and distressed...
such an easy makeover

see that little grain scoop in the back right hand corner...

that's better, all primmed up...
(this technique works best on smooth surfaces... first I roughed it up with a hammer claw, (be sure to bang down the corners also)... painted it black... use a hair dryer to dry to the touch... take a damp rag and just wipe off the paint until you get the desired look... so much quicker than sanding and it gives it a much smoother finish... no need to stain after)


the before... finally got a makeover

this piece was also painted and wiped with a damp rag...


Thanks for stopping by... would love to hear your comments.

Have a great day...

Hugs,

8 comments:

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

Deb, You HAVE been busy! Love the sampler, it is so amazing, esp since you helped it along. The frame is perfect too!
Now on the wood drawer thingie and the grain scoop, did you just wipe on black stain and take it off fast?
I love the transparency of it, the wood looks so much better that way.
Nice job!
Rose

Granny said...

You did a great job on everything but I think those little drawers are my favorite. The porcelain knobs along with the distressed finish is perfect.

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb, Fantastic finds there girl. Love what you did to them.. You brought them to life.. Excellent..

hugs Janet

Janet said...

Sensational !!!!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Deb! wow! I love the scoop! and the sampler. and the spice thingy.. yep so much better. (yesterday I was suffering from sever sleep deprivation, still lingering today.) :(
you do such great work!
gail

Firecracker Kid said...

Hey Deb! I love everyone of these redos, and thanks for the tips too. I would be proud to have them in my country home:)
Carol

DeeDee said...

Deb...I so love seeing your remakes...and saving the planet by recycling....great projects..thanks for sharing.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

I love how you aged that sampler. It sounded like you were baking a dessert! :) It turned out beautifully and was such a great find.