Thursday, August 5, 2010

Primitive Soap Keep - Project #2

I don't know why it took me so long to take the plunge and buy a saw.  I am loving the new things that I am able to do.  I always bought thrifted pre-made items and worked with what I had. 

Now I am able to make what I "want".  I saw this piece over at Simply Prim and I just fell in love with it.  I could just move right into this girls house and feel right at home... I used what I already had in my junk pile stock and thanks to the "OB" I was able to make it work for me.

I started with an old cutting board that I didn't have a use for...

trimmed to the size I needed...

dug this 35 year old salad bowl out of the archives...

cut it in half with the orange beast...

drilled holes and countersunk screws...
(this is the first time I tried that)

attached to board...
took ice pick and gave it a few worm holes...
drilled hole for antique square head nail

applied first coat of waterbased stain
I decided after all that I didn't like the corners sticking out around the curves...
twiddle thumbs and watch paint dry

find ex's silver cup,
I need to put his ear back on...

I took it all apart and cut the corners off as close as I could with the OB... then sanded until I got the right curve,  I really need to master that scroll saw next.

dry brushed with black paint... notice how much shorter it got... I had a few hiccups along the way... so I cut more off the bottom... redrilled holes and put back together...

I actually like it better now... sometimes your mistakes are your best friend...

there you have a cute little soap keep to hang in your primitive washroom,


here it is on my washroom wall... I think the berries need to be shortened a bit... sorry pics are so dark...

Maybe I can inspire one of you to step out of your comfort zone and take the plunge. 
Don't wait another minute... you will be so happy you did.

Hope everyone is staying cool... tomorrow promises for a cooler day... as Granny J says let's hope the "Weather Guesser" is right this time...


Have a great day...





toolsareforwomentoo
 
 
Beyond The Picket Fence

15 comments:

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

I L-O-V-E it! I'm not sure I could cut a really old bowl, but......I really love the finished product. I want one! I am going to try this, for sure. Thanks for sharing.
★Linda★

Brenda said...

That is so neat Deb! Awesome job on it and looks great where you have it!!

Brenda

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

deb, I love everything about it! I like it much better being shorter AND love that you rounded the edges off! I love the color too. You really do prim well! :)
I'm so jealous that you're sawing. It was 102 here yesterday. gail's not going outside to saw anytime soon!
hope you have a great weekend!
gail

Brenda said...

Hey Deb...thank YOU for stopping by!! I myself got a laugh about you thought I was getting excited about the AARP magazine...lol!! Too funny! I have a couple of years left before that magazine comes along...ha!! The APP magazine is "A Primtiive Place" and it is an awesome magazine. It just came out and if you go here, http://www.aprimitiveplace.org/APP-Magazine.html you can find out more about it!!
Thanks again!
Brenda

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

Oh Deb I love it!!! What a great way to display this!! Good job girl!

Kirsty Girl said...

Deb!!!! Oh my goodness! This is by far one of the best ideas I have seen blogged for a long time! Love love love! It looks fantastic! Btw don't snip down the stems I think they're cute all long and hanging about haha :)

Granny said...

That is so perfect hanging on the wall with the cup and soap. Love the berries just as they are. You did a fantastic job and like the OP said, I like it better since you shortened it.

Denise said...

You knew that you saved that bowl for something, whatcha gonna do with the other half? I love the way that turned out, great job with your paint/finish your projects always look so aged.

Beverly said...

WOW!!!! I had to show everyone in the office this! You rock girl!

Anonymous said...

Excellent project. What creativity! How on earth did you think to put all those items together? I love it all, especially that square-head nail. It truly adds the authenticity to the project. You are a clever one, Deb. Great project!

Carol Bennett said...

Very cute and so creative!!
Carol in GA

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I love that! and I love the rooster night light!!
Thanks for becoming a follower and I will certainly follow you too, I will be here a while looking thru your older post. Lisa

Anonymous said...

Im your 100th follower!
Wheeee Heeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Firecracker Kid said...

Awesome! I want one:) It turned out perfect. Your'e too good Deb:)

Jody said...

Hi Deb! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your comments are always so sweet. I adore your new soap holder, you did an awesome job on that...love how you modified too..it looks perfectly prim!