Saturday, September 12, 2009

Let me introduce you to Rub-N-Buff

If you are not familiar with a product called Rub-N-Buff you are missing out on a amazing product... it has never disappointed me.
this ugly duckling was so bad I was almost embarrased to carry it to the cashier... a few coats of black paint were applied and let dry overnight...

then Rub-N-Buff Spanish Copper was cut with a few drops of paint thinner and applied all over with an artist brush... let dry (I cheat and use a hair dryer) this pic is before buffing

buffed with a clean paint brush and soft rag...such a rich finish... worthy to hang in any room in my your home
Note: I could not find this anywhere in my area in Canada... when in doubt go to Ebay... they have it in so many different finishes...

this was shiny brass when I purchased it... a little black Rub-N-Buff added and it gives it a nice vintage aged patina and does not rub off... bonus

do you ever get carried away and forget to take the before... I can't tell you how many times I do this... caught myself in the middle of these pieces...

painted... distressed... and applied Rub-N-Buff on the ball parts only (SOLD)

this is one of my favourite boards to work with... it is the inside of a bread cutting board... you know the ones with the grid that fits inside so the crumbs fall through

I took a rubber stamp and painted the Rub-N-Buff on it and just ramdomly stamped all over... I have since learned to cut it with a bit of paint thinner first... saves you so much work and so much material... added the candle holder and a handmade grunge candle (SOLD)

This is a little stool I did with Rub-n-Buff cut
with paint thinner and stenciled

close up


12 comments:

DeeDee said...

You are corcect..rub n buff is an awesome product..I also use it to highlight my etched glassware...

love your ugly duckling...now a beautiful swan indeed...

Proper Prim said...

Thanks DeeDee... I am off to check out your etched glassware... that sounds really interesting... there is no end to the uses for it.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Nice job! I've actaully never used rub n' buff and I've got to try it! Thanks for following my blog and I will return the favor. Although I paint a lot of white pieces, I love black as well. It's so sleek and classic and can make something that was cheap look very expensive. Thanks for sharing your journey!

Tasty Creativity said...

I work with American Art Clay Company (AMACO), the company that markets and distributes Rub 'n Buff. Glad to see you having success with this product! To learn more about the product or see other colors available visit our website at AMACO.com

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I love rub-n-buff too!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I think I recognize your work from the hgtv message boards? I'm known as wendygail there. :)
You do great work!
nice blog!
gail

Proper Prim said...

Hi Gail... yes that would be me... my name on HGTV was "Always-Looking"... funny how many people went into blogging from there.

Thanks for stopping by... hope to see more of you... you do awesome work.

Regards, Deb

Sarah said...

Great makeover! God's blessings, Sarah :D

Unknown said...

Hi there! I'm loving your blog, so many great ideas! THanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Wow that last one is great (the grunge candle). I've never heard of rub 'n buff. (Oh and I would have been embarrassed to buy the first piece too! LOL)

Blue Creek Home said...

Yep, ya got to love Rub-N-Buff!!
Your projects all turned out lovely.
I had to giggle at the part about being embarrassed to take it to the check out!! Been there!
Rhonda

Kimba said...

Wow! That all came out beautifully. I've never worked with rub n buff...adding it to my list now.

Unknown said...

Just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post. Hope that's ok.

http://thespeckleddog.blogspot.com/2010/08/fancy-schmancy-clock.html