Friday, January 14, 2011

Garage Cleanup - Get-R-Done

I had full intentions this morning of having a nice relaxing day off, catching up on all my blog reading, just taking it easy... UNTIL I got to Songbirdisnesting via Donna's Get R Done post.  I hate to pass up a good kick in the butt to get things done that you know you will never complete without it...

I have been procrastinating for 5 years to get this section of my garage cleaned up and more organized and now that I have a new member to the work team, the timing was perfect.


Meet the Green Hornet... Santa listened to my plea and hand delivered this to my workshop... 
I am in love with this guy... far less intimidating than the "OB"...

with all this chaos, there was no where to set it up... that is a door that I took down in the house and laid it on it's side on the 2 x 4's sticking out... they came with the house... so it was either whack your head everytime you walked by or put something on them... the door worked great to store longer pieces of lumber and other JUNK... no matter what I did I could never keep it organized.

the "GH" was going to need a place to rest it's lovely green body so my original plan was to build another workbench... but space is a major factor in my garage... I still park my truck in there every night... see the coffee table on the right, standing on it's end taking up a lot of space... we'll get to that later... and see the "OB" shoved up against the wall, impossible to use...

I cleaned all the junk and lumber off the door and removed it along with the head bangers...
which left me with a bigger mess...
 
all stripped down...
the piece on the right is a railing from a hundred year old house that I just can't seem to find a home for... It came close to being dismantled also... I am getting tired of moving it around...

I had a couple of leftover boards already cut on an angle...
I screwed them to the sides of the 2 x 4's...

I cut a board with the GH to go along the bottom for a shelf...
added some hooks, hung my helpers... piled the long wood on top of the brackets...

 now onto to dismantling this space hog...
 the top worked perfectly for the "GH"... isn't he pretty... I even dressed him up for the party...

moved the "OB" table over to the wall... yahoo, I can actually use it again.

The wooden box was given to me FREE.  I added casters to the bottom and rolled it under the table...
another thing out of the way... it houses all the small pieces of wood... you know just in case you need a hundred small pieces to make that special project, not likely... that may the next get r done project.

so there you have it
does it look a whole lot different? NO... does it look pretty? NO... was it worth working in a freezing cold garage for 8 hours to get - r - done? OH YEAH... it is so much more organized and now I can access my saws when I get the sudden urge to be creative...

So folks that is what I have accomplished for GET R DONE... how about you?

Cost - $000.00

My gelpack is all heated up and ready to thaw my poor feet... it's off to bed for me.

Have a great night everyone... thanks for stopping by. 

Hugs, Deb

Linking to:







11 comments:

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

wooohooo! Love your new Christmas present! That's fabulous.
You did a super job. I can't believe you worked in a freezing cold garage to do this!
BUT, I bet you're glad it's over with!
kudos!
gail
have a great weekend!

Granny said...

Your garage looks great. I love that bix wooden box and that was a great idea, putting rollers on it to be able to move it around easily. You must have been really good last year for Santa to bring you that present. Can't wait to see all the things you make with it.

Anonymous said...

You really got to work fast...amazing! Isn't it great to have the inspiration/motivation to get things done through our hobby of blogging? It's a blast for sure!

Have a fun weekend:)
Jen

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Hello Deb,
Yes...it does look great and just think...you got this look for FREE:)

Blessings,
Linda

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Oh gosh, the feeling of an organized garage, nothing better! Being able to find things and use things just makes it all so much nicer. You did a great job and it looks great!And how pretty your green hornet looks!

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

Good job girl!!! Now you are organized, can get some of that built up energy you've had released. Now get that heater and you'll be keeping busy all the time :) Love the Green Hornet :)))) 8 hours....now that is true dedication. Now you've kicked me in the hiney and I need to get some organizing done!! Have a great weekend!!

xo ~ laura

Marianne said...

Oh that is indeed a nice addition to the household. I love my miter saw.
Good on you for cleaning out the garage and creating space for crafting and creating. I am sure many wonderful things will emerge from that workshop.
Thanks for participating in Gitter Done!

Junky Jen said...

Great work!! ohh my aching back!! Doesn't it feel great to get it done?? Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

Kolein said...

Deb! I SO see the difference! Mess to MASTERPIECE!

And a lot of hours put into it....well, it probably takes us longer to make the mess...maybe!

Hope you're enjoying your heating pad this weekend!

xo
~Kolein

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

OK, now I'm feeling like I should have been there beside you getting that garage done, especially after all the work you put into mine on your last visit. I oue ya, girl! I won't forget...
That workspace looks fabulous now, not pretty, but it's a workspace for crying out loud! I can't wait to see what cool projects you crank out with the new saw and all the newly orgaized workspace.

Jenn said...

Nice job!