Saturday, July 24, 2010

Do you remember these?

It was too hot outside to do anything else today so my friend and I decided to take a trip to the Re-Store (Habitat for Humanity Store, builders and DIYer's donate their overages)... it was the first time shopping there for both of us.  Let me tell you it isn't going to be my last visit. 

I wasn't 20 feet in the door when I found this treasure and there I was skipping down old Memory Lane again... I just purchased a riding mower recently and it doesn't get in the tight spots well.  I don't like the weed eater, but I am going to love this... guess what it will be doing as soon as it dries up.  I remember the sound of these and I always remember watching that I didn't cut my toes off ... oh yes I did... no such thing as electric or gas mowers in those days... well maybe they were around, but no one could ever afford one... I had to wheel it out of the store just so I could hear that wonderful sound...

The best part is the lady that donated it just had it all greased and sharpened... it's ready to go... bonus.

Rose, you can take the padlock off of yours now, I don't need it anymore... lol

look at all those wonderful gears...

isn't he a beauty...
I could never quite figure out what that rolling pin is for on the back... I don't think you can flip the handle over on this one to go in the opposite direction... it will have a little work-out tomorrow... hmmm, wonder if I should look for any directions... hahahaha... things were so simple then... who needed directions?...

what don't you see... do you see China anywhere on that label... NOTTA

Still has the manufacturers name on the handle... the salesman told me this was made locally... I guess I am not that old because I don't remember that name...

it still has the tag of the place I am sure they either bought it or had it sharpened... I don't remember this place either... but at such a young age I am sure I wouldn't have been paying attention to a store like that... yeap that's my story and I am sticking to it... lol

while I was there I picked up some needed supplies... the prices were amazing for this stuff...

Hope you had fun tripping back with me...

Have a great weekend... stay cool and hydrated.



Hugs,

9 comments:

Teri said...

The ReStore shops are the BEST!!!

Push mowers...that's what my great grandma would set me to using when I had a bit too much vinegar and needed to burn some energy. I loved it.

... never even realized that Tom Sawyer was a family member...

DeeDee said...

well whre have I been I have missed a few things here...lol..I lvoe the lawn moser..my mom still had one of those till the day she passed...it was my grandma's sure wish I had that....

I have never seen a restore before...looks like fun..

Granny said...

That's the only kind of mower we ever had at home. I don't ever remember what the roller on the back is for and I'm older than you are. We don't have ReStore shops around here. At least I've never heard of one.

Stay cool. It's miserable here.

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I too love the ReStore! I have been itching to go to ours, but it has no air in the summer nor heat in the winter.
Great mower! We don't usually have those kind of things at ours.
gail

Firecracker Kid said...

Yep Deb, that's what we used when I was a kid in the 60's. A few years ago hubby found one in Logan and bought it for me to mow the back yard with. So I went back in time for awhile til my daughter snatched it from me. She thought it was "cool".

Denise said...

I remember having one of those during my early childhood. I saw one at a yard sale earlier this summer a lady had already snatched it up! Have a great workout with your new/old mower.

Coleen's Corner said...

Oh yes, I remember! We actually have one (not as nice) sitting in one of our shed. The lady we bought our acreage from brought it back and gave it to us! She said it "belonged" out here : ) She used to mow the huge yard with it!

Michelle@ A Full Cottage said...

Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet comment...I have big plans for my treasures!

Love your restore find! That mower is nice enough to be left out as a display piece when not hard at work! We have one too, but it is a "new" one that we picked up at a yard sale. Easy enough and not dangerous so the kids can mow!!

:) Michelle

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

I love the lawn mower. I can remember mowing my grandparents yard with one like that when I was little. I think now they are a work of art. Thanks for sharing.