Friday, July 30, 2010

My very first handmade project...

I DID IT !!!... with all fingers in tact.

This is my very first handmade piece built from scratch and the first time using a table saw.

I had a good nights rest and got to it late first thing this morning...

I started by reading the directions for the big Orange Beast...
not an easy task for this non-directional brain.

I pulled out the plans for this primitive blanket crane... that I borrowed from
Simply Prim ... she was so kind to post  a tut and these plans on her blog.

For those not familiar with these they are used to display your favourite quilt, or can be used in the Washroom to hold towels.

I dug in the wood pile and pulled out the necessary pieces...
the porch rail and spindles were part of that pile I got at the garage sale.
check out the angle on the bottom one, already a 45degree cut... and the upper one had a mounting screw in it already and it also had the necessary taper... 
don't you just love when a plan comes together...I didn't like the long board and I needed practice using the beast...

so I made all my measurements on this board and made the cuts... I "ripped" right through it with no trouble except I was scared to death.
I was very careful and stayed focused on the task at hand.

I then assembled the pieces...

screwed the pieces together... rounded off the corners... gave it a good sanding...

cut the spindle to match up with the top, that wasn't an easy cut as it was rounded and I had to tweak it a few times... affixed it all with screws...

stained it barn red...

completed the assembly and dry brushed it black...

I left a gap between the back bar of the spindle and backplate so I can...

swing it out... or lay it flat

Ta Da... what do you think.

I have been wanting one of these for so long.

Now I just have to find the right place to hang it in my bedroom.

Material cost;
 board - free
2 spindles - .30 cents
1 x 1 - .15 cents
screws - leftover from another project
paint - leftover from another project
5 hours labour - priceless

Total cost $.45 cents

Thank you  for all the encouragement.

Thanks so much for stopping by...

 YOU CAN DO IT!

displayed in my bedroom




toolsareforwomentoo


Beyond The Picket Fence


Big Hugs...

14 comments:

Denise said...

I love it, it would look great at my house with my All Stars quilt, LOL. I new you would make good use of your new saw.

DeeDee said...

OMG! you rock girl friend...great job...I bet you just love it don't you..I do...

no more scarddy cat now uh...hehehe!
have fun with that..

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

You did an awesome job! The big orange beast does look rather intimidating. I can't wait to see it with your quilt!

Granny said...

That looks really nice. I love the color. Just don't ever get comfortable using the saw and you'll do fine. I've been using a table saw for years and still cringe every time I turn it on.

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

You done good! I'm especially impressed that you made it pivot. That is not easy!

Unknown said...

Wow! Congrats on your first handmade project- great job using the saw! You are brave. Thanks for sharing this.

Coleen's Corner said...

A+++ for sure. So proud of you and thanks heaps for sharing the tute. I remember my great-grandmother having those in various spots around her house... very handy!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I've never seen one of these, but I'm sure yours is the best ever! :)
So happy you jumped in and completed your first piece.
I love, love, love the color! It looks fabulous.
way to go girl!
gail

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

How cool that you made this yourself! It looks really good~way to go!

Firecracker Kid said...

Very nice... I want it! Hubby was impressed and I am impressed with your frugality(?) LOL. Excellent job hon, I'm proud of ya.

mommyroo said...

You made that for 45 cents? You would never know, it looks like somthing you'd pick up at one of those swanky over priced prim shops...way to go!

Beverly said...

You are so motivating...I love that blanket crane!!!!

Anonymous said...

Good work mom!!

RICH said...

Good for you, that looks great!